POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: scott
Date: 19 May 2008 08:15:04
Message: <48316f48$1@news.povray.org>
> to keep it against such small things as air friction isn't all that large.

At 75 mph air friction isn't small.  A lot of small cars give up not much
faster than this because their engine cannot generate enough power to
overcome the air friction.

>  Compare it to the amount of fuel needed to get the car from 0 to 100 km/h
> in a relatively short amount of time.

Much less than getting to 100 km/h in a long time...

IMO, the surprise at the small amount of fuel needed comes from the fact
that the energy density of petrol is so high.  We hear figues like 6 litres
per 100 km, but 6 litres of petrol equals around 200 MJ of energy, enough to
lift a 747 plane 100 metres in the air!